Looking for the perfect Mother's Day gift? Look no further
The most important meal of the day, a good breakfast is all about surrounding yourself with the finer things in life – coffee(!), an array of delicious foodstuffs, something interesting to read and your favourite people!
If you’ve been looking for the perfect Mother’s Day gift look no further, all great Mother’s Days should start off with a breakfast to rival all others, which is why we’ve chosen four, sure to impress, breakfast recipes that all include a skin-loving ingredient your Mum will love.
Bring out the breakfast big guns this Mother’s day.
STUFFED AVOCADO WITH PESTO QUINOA AND EGG
A gourmet breakfast dish in just 5 minutes, this breakfast recipe is super easy with a flavour combination your Mum will love.
Ingredients: egg, avocado, quinoa and pesto.
1. Slice your avocado around the middle and remove the stone and skin.
2. Add two spoons of cooked quinoa into each avocado hole.
3. Top with a tablespoon of pesto.
4. Fry eggs in a little coconut oil until yolk is slightly runny, add on top.
5. Season with salt and pepper.
Serving suggestion: hot toast and coffee.
Skin-loving ingredient: Avocado! Rich in fatty acids, vitamins and antioxidants that can improve your skin from the inside out. A great source of carotenoids that provide significant protection for your skin from the environment1.
Source: Naturally Sassy.
FLUFFY VEGAN PANCAKES WITH FIGS
Pancakes are delicious and so versatile. This vegan recipe is flavoured with cinnamon and orange and topped with a date syrup and fresh figs…yum!
Ingredients: (serves 6) ¾ cup white spelt flour, 1 tbsp arrowroot powder, 1 tsp baking powder, ¼ tsp ground cinnamon, ¹/₈ tsp ground cardamom, zest 1 orange, 3 tbsp maple syrup, 1 tsp apple cider vinegar, ½ cup dairy-free milk, 2 tbsp rice bran oil, date syrup, fresh figs.
1. Heat frying pan on low.
2. Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl.
3. Add wet ingredients to the bowl and stir well to combine until mixture is runny but thick.
4. Ladle ¼ cup batter onto dry pan, cook for 30 seconds, flip, and cook for another 30 seconds.
6. Serve with date syrup and fresh figs.
Serving suggestion: Bananas and pecan nuts are a delicious addition.
Skin-loving ingredient: Fig. A good source of many enriching vitamins, antioxidants, and minerals essential for boosting and rejuvenating the skin’s health2.
Source: Wallflower Kitchen.
MANGO COCONUT OVERNIGHT OATS
A great one to prepare the night before for maximum impact with minimal fuss. No cooking required.
Ingredients: (serves 2) ½ cup rolled oats, ¼ cup Greek yoghurt, ½ cup milk, 1 tbsp maple syrup, 2 tbsp mango puree, chopped mango, 2 tbsp grated coconut.
1. Combine oats, yoghurt, milk, 1 tbsp coconut and maple syrup in a jar.
2. Mix, cover and leave in fridge overnight.
3. Layer to serve; mango puree first, oat mixture on top, and then top with fresh mango and grated coconut.
Serving suggestion: add a little fresh pineapple.
Skin-loving ingredient: Mango. Mangoes are rich in vitamin A, C and E, aiding skin growth and repair3.
Source: Sandhya’s Kitchen
PINK LADY APPLE PIE BREAKFAST SMOOTHIE
Filling, full of fruit, and oh-so-pretty…and the best bit, this recipe tastes as good as it looks!
Ingredients: (serves 3) 1 frozen banana, 1 cup yoghurt, 1 large pink lady apple, 1/2 cup of oats, 2 tbsp chia or flax seeds, 2 tsp ground cinnamon, 2 tsp vanilla powder, 1 cup almond milk, 2 tsp beetroot powder. For topping, pomegranate seeds, maple syrup, nuts and seeds of your choice.
1. Place all smoothie ingredients into a high-speed blender, blend until smooth and creamy.
2. Spend a little time adding the finishing touches; pomegranate, seeds, sliced apple and syrup.
Serving suggestion: Add edible flowers for the occasion.
Skin-loving ingredient: Pomegranate seeds. Rich in antioxidants, they not only nourish the skin but also prevent damage caused by free radicals4.
Source: The Little Plantation